As you all know Easter is fast approaching. And with less than a week to go, we thought that we’d share with you a recipe for a succulent roast dinner that can be enjoyed on Easter Sunday; Hay-baked Leg of lamb. So, gather your ingredients, follow the preparation guidelines and get cooking to enjoy a tasty roast this weekend.
Before you start licking your lips in anticipation of the feast ahead, you’ll need to have all your ingredients ready to go.
- 250g Kale
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 4 Anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 Lemon, zested
- 70g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1½ Kg leg of lamb, part tunnel-boned, shank still attached (you can ask butcher to do this for you)
- 2 bunches of fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- 100g hay, toasted (for 8-10 minutes at gas mark 3/ 160C/ 140C for fan assisted ovens)
- 500ml lamb/chicken stock cube
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- Butchers string to tie the lamb together.
And what roast dinner would be complete without some roast potatoes and fresh vegetables? So, whether it’s carrots and green beans, or broccoli and spring greens, don’t forget to load your basket with your favourite veggies and potatoes. If you’re not a lamb fan, try the recipe with chicken instead!
Preparing the stuffing
- Boil the kale in a pan on the stove until wilted.
- Transfer the kale directly into iced water to refresh.
- Drain all excess water from the kale, then roughly chop.
- Add the chopped kale into a mixing bowl and stir with the breadcrumbs, garlic, anchovies, lemon zest and season with black pepper.
- Once mixed, pack the stuffing into the lamb’s cavity and tie with string – making sure it is secure so it doesn’t fall apart whilst cooking.
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 5/ 190C or 170C for fan assisted ovens
- Mix the hay with the rosemary and thyme, and spread in a deep roasting tin.
- Dissolve 1 stock cube in 500ml of boiling water then poor over the hay.
- Place your stuffed lamb on top of the hay, sprinkle some salt on top and drizzle 2 table spoons of olive oil over your lamb.
Cooking times will vary depending how you like your lamb to be cooked, see suggested cooking times below:
- Well done – 1 hour 40 minutes in the oven
- Medium to well – 1 hour 30 minutes in the oven
- Rare to Medium – 1 hour 20 minutes in the oven
Once cooked to your desired taste, remove the lamb from the oven and let it rest for 20 minutes before carving. Then, dig-in and enjoy your seasonal hay-baked stuffed leg of lamb!
For more tasty Easter recipes, see here.